your local horse riding equestrian guide to dressage ...
Top Dressage Rider Steffen Peters ...
Dressage Rider Steffen Peters was born in Germany, moved to the US in 1985 and earned his US citizenship in 1992.
His dressage career includes winning team bronze in the 1996 Olympics aboard Udon, taking team silver at CDIO Aachen in 2003 with Grandeur and taking the lead position with the 2008 US Olympic Dressage team.
Steffen peters and his wife of four years, Shannon Barnes, also a noted dressage rider, operate a training facility in the San Diego area.
Steffen was introduced to horses by his sister and his new-found passion was well supported by his parents.
He met several riders from San Diego at a clinic in Germany and took them up on an invitation to visit their hometown in 1984.
After returning to Germany to fulfill his brief military requirements, he returned to the US for good.
Dressage Rider Steffen Peter's partnership with the chestnut Westphalien gelding Floriano catapulted him into the international spotlight.
In 2006, the pair swept all three phases at the 2006 Collecting Gaits/USEF National Grand Prix Dressage Competition, which landed them the anchor spot on the 2006 World Equestrian Games team.
Once there, Steffen and Floriano were integral in capturing the team bronze for the US.
Even two years ago, dressage fans were gearing up to see these two in the 2008 Olympics.
Then, Top Dressage Rider Steffen Peters decided to resign as Floriano’s rider because he had commitments to other clients and couldn’t exclusively show Floriano as his owners wished. The decision was a hard one for the rising star, who said
Without Floriano, I wouldn't be where I am. I wouldn't have had the opportunities I've had to compete internationally. I appreciate every opportunity that the Brownings and Floriano gave me.
Top Dressage Rider Steffen Peters’ Career …
- 1993 – Miller’s USET National Reserve Champion Grand Prix riding Udon
- 1994 – Individual and Team Gold Olympic Festival St. Louis riding Akeena
- 1995 – Miller’s USET Natioan Champion Grand Prix riding Udon
- 1996 – Bronze Medal Atlanta riding Udon
- 1999 – Millers USET Reserve Champion riding Grandeur
- 2002 – Winner of the US League Finals riding Grandeur
- 2002 – Finished in 8th place at the World Cup riding Grandeur
- 2003 -Team Silver Metal in Aachen Germany riding Grandeur
- 2004 – 5 Grand Prix Wins at CDI Burbank April
- 2004 – an alternate rider for the Olympic team in Athens Greece riding Floriano
- 2006 – Winner USEF Grand Prix at USET Foundation Dressage Festival of Champions riding Floriano
- 2006 – Winner of team bronze at World Equestrian Games riding Floriano
Other highlights of Dressage Rider Steffen Peter’s career include winning team bronze in the 1996 Olympics aboard Udon, taking team silver at CDIO Aachen in 2003 with Grandeur, and winning every outing with Top Dressage Horse Ravel.
Forty three year old Peters still lives and trains in San Diego with his wife Shannon.
He is in high demand for clinics around the world, and indeed Debbie McDonald enlists Top Dressage Rider Steffen Peters assistance when preparing for international events with her horse Brentina.